Positivity at Work
Work can bring a sense of purpose, pride and joy but it can sometimes be a source of stress. Positive actions can create positive emotions and change the outcome of your day. Those around us often react to our energy whether positive or negative, setting the tone for the day so why not stay on the positive side?
Often the people you work with will subconsciously react to your positive or negative energy, which in turn can make for a good, bad or stressful day.
If you are experiencing high stress and tend to wear your emotions on your sleeve, practicing some stress relief techniques will help minimize the impact stress has on you and those around you.
By proactively managing stress, remaining optimistic and positive you may find over time others adopt the same attitude. Happiness is contagious so spread your good vibes with your co-workers and contribute to a happier, more positive work environment.
Here are some tips to help:
- Practice meditation, yoga or tai chi - these activities have a calming affect on the nervous system, lower stress levels and make us less reactive to the energy of others.
- Bring your favorite, calming tea. Make it something special to share with our co-workers and create a ritual to take a “time out” for tea sometime throughout the day.
- Bring a healthy and delicious food once a week to share with coworkers to make them feel appreciated and to create a bond by socializing and enjoying the food together.
- Suggest a 10 minute break where each person gets to pick an activity such as a walk or a group stretch to encourage movement which is an instant mood booster. You can even try having walking meetings!
- Extend an olive branch and offer to take someone you are having difficulty with to lunch. By having some one on one time together you may get to know this person better and improve your working relationship.
- Just remember that each person has their own life struggles which can be the basis of their attitude or outlook and having compassion and trying to see them for who they are is truly liberating!