Top 10 Benefits of Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP)
In 2013, standup paddleboarding was reported as the outdoor sporting activity with the most first-time participants of any in the United States. With all these great health benefits listed, it’s no wonder SUPing continues to grow in popularity!
- Improves balance: Paddle-boarding requires you to stand upright on the board, requiring a lot of core stability and leg strength to maintain balance.
- Full body workout: Almost every muscle in the body is used during this water sport!
- Standup paddling: is a low impact exercise. Standup paddling is a low impact exercise.
- Reduces stress: Water naturally soothes the body and exercise helps to reduce stress.
- Overall increased strength
- Cardio workout: Casual SUPing can cause the average individual to burn 305-430 calories leisurely paddling in 1 hour! Useful in rehabilitation injuries: due to it’s low impact nature, it can be a useful tool for rehab to gently increase strength without doing any harm.
- Improves endurance: Once you learn how to stand up paddle board, you begin to master it with increasing endurance of the constant paddling.
- Allows you to connect with nature.
- Better cardiovascular health: engaging in paddle boarding is similar to running, aerobics, or even cross-training, you’ll have improved cardiovascular health and less risk for related diseases.
It’s the perfect family activity this summer, so give it a try, and you’ll notice how much better and stronger you feel!