Soak up Some Vitamin D with Water Skiing!
If you love the outdoors, water and the enjoyment of an occasional adrenaline rush, water skiing just may be the water sport for you! Here are some additional health benefits:
- Muscle Toning: It uses every muscle in your body, developing your posture, shoulders and arms since you’re pulled with your upper body.
- Increased Balance and Core Strength: getting up on the skis- and staying up- require you to develop both your balance and core strength.
- Resistance Training: water skiing forces you to hold yourself up using resistance. It works core muscles, arm muscles, leg muscles, and all the muscles around them.
- Easy on the Joints: Water skiing uses just about every muscle in the body without wearing down joints this is because the act is all bodyweight resistance.
- Promotes strong legs: Your legs are certainly worked as they absorb the energy of crossing the bumpy wake behind the boat, controlling your direction and are bent in a half-squat throughout, giving you particularly strong quads.
- Meditative aspect: Being on the water, much like in sailing, can have a calming effect on the mind and forces you to focus on the task at hand for safety and enjoyment.
- Calorie burning: an hour session on water skis will burn on average 400 calories.
- Good for Overall Health: Similar to most forms of physical exercise, water skiing can reduce or eliminate your risk for many health problems, such as high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity.
What are you waiting for? Make plans to get out on the water today!