Choosing HEARTier Carbohydrates
Making complex-carbohydrate food choices are the right choices for a healthy heart. Here are some simple substitutions:
- Brown rice is a heart healthy substitution for white rice.
- Look for bread made from whole wheat flour and that 3+ grams of fiber per slice. *It must say “whole wheat” or “100% whole wheat” on the package. Avoid enriched flour white breads. Refined wheat loses important nutrients and fiber in the refining process.
- Add a variety of grains including cracked wheat, barley, quinoa and prepare them as if you would use rice in pilafs. *Quinoa is available in most stores and high in protein content.
- Use 100% whole-wheat flour to make roti, chapati, or phulka. Use ghee or oil in limited amounts.
- Incorporate whole wheat pasta into your diet. Make sure you stick to the proper serving size of pasta, ½ cup cooked, add a lean source of protein and plenty of vegetables.
- Thin crust pizzas or pizza dough made from whole wheat is recommended.
Your Vida Health Coach will help you come up with a heart healthy action plan and help you get started with simple action steps to move you in the right direction.