Fun, Smarter Exercise
Exercise has the capacity to help you as much as any medicine. It is "the" wonder drug. But you don't want to go about it in a robotic fashion. It should be fun and you should feel the benefits of exercise within the first few days of your program. So let's explore what types of exercise you should be doing to build muscle, burn fat, improve sleep and well-being, and even curb cravings!
- Commit to a minimum of at least 30 minutes of vigorous walking every day – all you need is a pair of sneakers – if you don’t have them go out and buy a pair today!
- Check out the various exercise classes at your local gym and try at least 2 different ones this week.
- Get a pedometer or step counter.
- Do something FUN… explore play! Dance, take a hike, play tag with your kids, do Zumba or go to class.
- Track your heart rate – get a heart rate monitor – so you know exactly how you are doing – don’t fool yourself.
- Find an exercise buddy to jog or dance with.
- Use your group of friends as a chance to connect and exercise together.
- Do little things – walk around while you are on the talking on the phone, take the stairs not elevators or escalators, park at the far end of parking lots – they add up.
- Slowly ramp it up.. do more vigorous sustained aerobic exercise as the weeks progress. You'll increase your capacity as you go along so you don’t stay stagnant with your program.