Improve Your Relationship With Your Heart
February is Heart Health Month
Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the United States. The good news? It is also one of the most preventable. Lifestyle changes are essential to improve your cholesterol levels. To bring your numbers down and prevent risk of heart disease, make it a habit to:
- Lose extra pounds! – Even the smallest amount of weight loss can have a significant affect on your cholesterol levels
- Eat heart-healthy foods!
- Choose healthier fats such as almonds, nuts, and olive and canola oils
- Eliminate trans fats, such as those found in high calorie/fat snacks
- Limit your dietary cholesterol
- Select whole grains
- Stock up on fruits and vegetables
- Eat heart-healthy fish, such as cod, tuna, and halibut
- Drink alcohol only in moderation (1 drink for women, 2 for men, daily)
- Exercise regularly!
- Don’t smoke!