Sweet Vegetables: An Oxymoron, or Not?
Want to eat healthier but just don't enjoy the taste of regular cooked vegetables? Believe it or not, we are able to sweeten our healthy veggies! Here are five tips on sweetening your veggies the healthy way.
- Onions become sweet when they are cooked slowly over low heat to caramelize natural sugars.
- Zucchini and summer squash become sweet when sauteed over medium heat with a bit of olive oil. Jicama also becomes sweet when sauteed.
- Try roasting winter squash, such as acorn or butternut, at higher temps to create sweetness.
- Try to puree roasted peppers for a sweet, dinner sauce.
- Additional vegetables to try roasting are onions, carrots, parsnips, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.
Everything is not better with butter! Please be sure not to add butter to your veggies, since butter contains saturated fat and added calories!