Staying Ahead of the Winter Blues
Winter can be one of the most beautiful times of the year. Unfortunately, there are quite a few negative sides of the frigid season. Holiday bills are high, temperatures are low, and the days are way too short. Here are some easy ways to lift your spirits.
1. Make your environment brighter. When your body is craving more daylight, sitting next to an artificial light for 30 minutes per day can be very effective. Opening blinds and curtains, letting more light in, and sitting closer to windows can also help provide an extra dose of sunshine. Taking on a few low-maintenance houseplants can also greatly improve your mood. Not only do plants help brighten up a room, but the process of caring for your indoor winter garden can also be therapeutic.
2. Eat smarter. Certain foods, like chocolate, can help to enhance your mood and relieve anxiety. Other foods, like candy and carbohydrates provide temporary feelings of euphoria, but could ultimately increase feelings of anxiety and depression.
3. Make the most of your mornings. More than ever, your morning workout is SO important this time of year! December is filled with celebratory happy hours, holiday parties, and fun get-togethers after work. Completing your workouts in the morning will give you the freedom to enjoy your social events at night without losing your consistency. Plus you will feel and look your best throughout the entire month!
4. Get outside. Taking a walk when the temperatures are low isn’t easy, but the benefits are big: Spending time outside (even when it’s chilly!) can improve focus, reduce symptoms of depression, and lower stress levels.
5. Make a list. Don’t let stress get the best of you! Take a deep breath, and write everything down. Your goals, your To Do list, your affirmations, etc. Journals help keep us on track in so many ways, and there’s nothing quite like checking something off your list! Most importantly, enjoy it!! Staying grateful is the key to happiness, and this time of year is all about enjoying time with friends and family.
Most importantly, enjoy it!! Staying grateful is the key to happiness, and this time of year is all about enjoying time with friends and family.