On the Road for the Holidays? 6 Tips for Prioritizing Your Health
Anytime we are out of our normal routine, it becomes more difficult to make healthy choices. The holidays, with all the parties, sweets, friends, family and commitments can make it even harder to stick to our health habits. Try these tips to keep health a priority this holiday season:
- WATER! Choose a water bottle that you like, and set a goal to keep it filled so you’re prepared to drink a lot. Consider adding slices of lemon or cucumber to add some flavor to your water. And don’t forget, herbal teas count as water intake, so use a thermos for tea if you prefer drinking warm liquids when it’s cold outside.
- ACCOUNTABILITY! Reach out to a family member, a friend, or your Vida coach and ask them to be your accountability buddy during this holiday season. Establish a few specific goals with this person and check in with them on your progress regularly.
- MOVE! Research local gyms, classes, races, or meetup groups you can attend to keep your movement up. If this isn’t practical, then work with a coach or trainer to establish a workout plan that you can do either outdoors or at home. Make it fun so you are more likely to do it!
- PLAY! Put the kid back in your holidays! Activities like building snowmen, shoveling, making ice forts, playing touch football, and tag are easy ways to stay engaged with your family while getting in some activity and joy.
- PREPARE! Maintain a supply of healthy snacks like chopped veggies or fruit, nuts and seeds, hardboiled eggs and salad fixings, and eat them to help ward-off your cravings for unnecessary holiday sweets.
- INDULGE! Yep, you read that right! Do you really love fresh gingerbread cookies? Eggnog? Pumpkin pie? Choose a small serving of your favorite dish or drink and really enjoy it slowly. You’ll feel satisfied at having made healthy choices before and will enjoy the occasional indulgence even more.