5 Creative Ways for Fitting in Fitness During the Holidays
With all of the holiday hustle and bustle, perhaps you may be getting in the movement you need. After all, it's estimated that:
- Wrapping gifts for an hour burns 120 calories, and
- Shopping while pushing a full cart of presents can burn a little over 100 calories in just 3 minutes. Imagine! But here's a little secret. These little blips of movement add up to more than you think- all it takes is a little creativity.
A study completed in 2000 showed that subjects who stood and fidgeted burned 81% more calories than those who stood still, and those who sat and fidgeted burned about 50% more than those who sat motionless. So...
Here's our top 5 list for Creative Fitness Fit-Ins for the Holidays...
- Stand, talk with your hands and act out your stories at parties and family events. You might need to break this one in slowly, but your family will surely be entertained.
- For every present you wrap or open, stop and do one burpee or jumping jack (or better yet, have the person who gave you your gift give you a new challenge for every gift!)
- Purposely take the stairs as many times as possible per day. Even if it means you commit to using only the bathroom on whatever floor you happen to not be on. (Oh, and commit to drinking a full glass of water every time someone says "Thank you". I am banking on the idea that you have grateful families and friends).
- Speaking of the bathroom, do 50 squats after every time you visit the loo...you are all alone in the room (is my guess) and there's no one to judge anyway. A 135 pound person who does 50 squats in 2.5 minutes can burn about 22 calories. May not seem like much, but considering how many times in a week you visit the bathroom, this could really add up!
- Help with the clean-up in every way possible. Do the dishes, take out the trash, help the kids set up their new toys and them put them away, make a "giveaway" box for the things that must go to make room for your new stuff.
Above all- move. It matters and every move counts!